Establishing Yourself

Applying for a Social Insurance Number card

Applying for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) card is one of the most important things you will do after coming to Canada. You will need one to work here or to obtain your tax credit. This number tells the government who is earning money, paying taxes, paying into pension plans, and using government services. Your employers will ask you for this number.

To apply for one, simply go to your nearest Human Resources Development Canada office (listed in the blue pages of your telephone book). As a new immigrant, you will need to provide the original of your Record of Landing (IMM 1000). If the name you are using to apply for your SIN card is different than the one found on the document you are providing, you must also provide either a marriage certificate or a change of name document.

Remember: You must make sure that the name on all documents is the same name. This name must always belong to the same person, and it must be spelled correctly.

Applying for the Canada Child Tax Benefit

If you have children under 18, the Government of Canada may be able to help you with some of the costs of raising them. This monthly tax-free payment is called the Canada Child Tax Benefit. The amount of the benefit is based on several factors, such as: your family income, the number of children you have and their ages, and your province or territory of residence. When you apply, you must provide proof of your Canadian immigration status, and proof of birth for any of your children born outside of Canada.

To apply for the Canada Child Tax Benefit, you must have filed an Income Tax and Benefit Return. If you were not residents of Canada in time to fill out a return, you will need to complete a separate form to declare your world income. You can get these forms and more information on the Canada Child Tax Benefit by calling Revenue Canada’s toll-free number: 1-800-387-1193.

If you live in Quebec, Revenue Canada will automatically send the Régie des rentes du Québec all information needed to register your children for the Quebec family allowance.