Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Call Centres

You can get general information about immigration and citizenship by calling the CIC Call Centre. Recorded information is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in English or French. If you have access to the Internet, you can also view the CIC Web site ( for recent announcements, publications, and application kits and guides. (See the section on “Using computers?for further information on Internet web sites.) CIC Call Centres can provide:

Remember: If you have an immigration client identification (ID) number, you will need it to obtain information about your application. Here how it works:

  1. A recorded message will tell you to press 1 or 2 to select English or French.
  2. The recorded message will list a enu?from which to choose the information you need. Press the star [*] key to repeat the message.
  3. Press 9 to return to the main menu and make your choice.
  4. During normal business hours (8 a.m. to 4 p.m.) across Canada, you can press 0 to speak directly to a program assistant. If all the assistants are busy, stay on the line until one becomes free.

How to contact the Call Centre:

Remember: One of the most frequent reasons for calling the Call Centre is to obtain application kits for Citizenship and Immigration services. These include sponsorship or citizenship applications. You don`t need to speak to an assistant to order these kits ? simply follow the recorded instructions and leave your name and mailing address, including the postal code.

Immigrant-serving organizations

Canada has hundreds of organizations which help newcomers settle into life in Canada. Many of them represent a number of different multicultural agencies and associations, so they can help you in several ways. They may provide language training, or help you find housing, or look for a job. They may also provide support for women, children, and families who are dealing with domestic violence. Some of these organizations can provide these services in your first language, which may be helpful in the first few months.

Immigrant Settlement and Adaptation Program (ISAP)

The ISAP is a federal government program. Under ISAP, immigrant-serving organizations provide essential services to newcomers throughout Canada, with the exception of Quebec, Manitoba and British Columbia. These provinces are responsible for the administration and delivery of programs and services for newcomers to Canada living in their province. The services provided under ISAP include:

Employment-related services could include job-finding clubs which help newcomers by offering workshops or courses on rum?writing, the use of the telephone, and so on. They can also help newcomers obtain the required certification of their educational or trade documents.

Government services

The main telephone numbers for federal, provincial, and municipal or regional government departments are listed in the blue pages of your local telephone book. Some are listed by department, or by service. Frequently called numbers are often listed at the beginning of each section, including a central information number. If you need help to find a federal government program or service, call Information on the Government of Canada at 1-800-667-3355.

If you wish to use the Internet, the address is: